Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day 2011


I know I'm late getting this posted, but since I had to work on Mother's Day weekend, I decided to get Mom her Mother's Day present early.

We went to the local Greenhouse so that Mom could pick out some flowers she would like to look at for the next several months.
Mom wasn't exactly cooperative, and in the end I did most of the picking, but along with some trailing ivy and some Lavender Geraniums, we came home with some Purple and White Pansy, some Cockscomb (remember Mom having that in her garden when I was growing up), some Asparagus Fern (Mom still has great asparagus in her garden) and a new Plant called Hip Hop that was just a nice lacy looking flowering plant. You can see it in the middle of the center planter, and one Spike plant in the center of the bottom picture that dad calls a Yucka plant !!
Oh, about those planters - they were our gift to Mom & Dad this past Christmas. They are Cedar. Dad then made brackets so they would fit along the railing of their porch - Dad could water them easily and Mom could enjoy them from the kitchen table.

I ended up missing 2 plants while I was planting them up - I just made due with what I had, and was satisfied they were plenty full without the missing plants. Dad and I talked, and wondered where they might have gone....thinking that maybe Mom or the terriers helped themselves to them. Well...as I was putting my supplies back in the car - guess what I found in the trunk - - yep the missing plants!! Sorry Mom, and sorry dogs.... (slapping the forehead!) Dad and I had a good laugh over that.

Cemetery 

On the way home, I stopped by the cemetery to see how the Peony bushes were doing.  I was a bit concerned because twe planted them 2 years ago, and for the last 2 years they've been mowed off!!!  I was really happy to see that they've been allowed to grow this year.

They both have nice buds, but of course Angelene's has more and they are robust.  I hope they are blooming nicely for Memorial Day, but at least this year - they got to grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment